The other day i talked about keeping your wordpress site from being hacked. On the list we had the option to back up your site and it got me thinking, do most people know how to back up with wordpress?
Since there are so many people I know using wordpress for business or personal sites I thought it would be prudent to cover some basic tools that protect your wordpress content and data.
Most of these plugins we will talk about can be loaded from your WordPress Dashboard. Go to Plugins and select Add New and Type in the word “BackUp”. You will find a list of more than 10 backup tools, having chosen ones with good ratings, lots of downloads and some i have gotten a chance to test.
Here are the 7 plugins that you can easily add to back up your blog posts, pages and overall site in no particular order.
- Simple WordPress Backup promises a one-click backup process. Its name tells the story and Creates a full dump of your WordPress MySQL Database.You can check the installation here. Simple. 4 ratings, 15,832 downloads
- WP S3 Backups must be run on a Linux server. Other than that, this plugin will let you easily and automatically back up important parts of your WordPress install to the Amazon S3 Cloud. You can check the installation here. 10 ratings, 4,542 downloads.
- Online Backup for WordPress allows you to easily back up your entire WordPress database to your email, desktop or free 100MB on this plugin creator’s secure server. It will backup a site’s settings, pages, posts and comments, as well as media, attachments, themes and plugins. Its features include compression, encryption, scheduling and on-demand backup.Installation here. 17 ratings, 30,218 downloads.
- BackUpWordPress offers a simple automated backup of your WordPress powered website. It will back up your entire site including your database and all your files daily. One of its great features is it super simple to use, no setup required. Installation here. 81 ratings, 125,465 downloads.
- WP-DBManager is probably one of the most popular backup tools. It allows you to optimize a database, repair a database, back up a database, restore a database and more. It supports automatic scheduling of backups and optimizing of databases. Installation here. 222 ratings, 496,765 downloads.
- XCloner – Backup and Restore is designed for PHP/Mysql websites. Many WordPress installs reside in one of these types of structures. It works as a native plugin for WordPress and Joomla. Installation here. 58 ratings, 54,820 downloads.
- WP-DB-Backup has the highest number of downloads of any backup tool. WP-DB-Backup allows you to easily back up your core WordPress database tables as well as other tables in the same database. Installation here. 462 ratings, 1,095,302 downloads.
Before using all this Backup tools on your site i do advice that you test them on a dummy site to avoid breaking your wordpress site.
Let us know in the comments what tools or services you are using to back up and protect your WordPress data.